A Delicious Spring Recipe for a Light Dinner or a Ladies Lunch
Monday, April 09, 2012
If you're like Suzy, you're always looking for a new salad to serve as the weather starts getting warmer. Here's one we think you'll love.
SPINACH SALAD with CRANBERRY & GOAT CHEESE CHIK’N CUTLETS & SPICED WALNUTS
Orange-scented sweet & spicy walnuts add a delightful crunch to this main-meal salad for 2.
Prep Time- 20 minutes
Cook Time- about 30 minutes total
Makes 2 servings
1 cup coarsely chopped walnut halves
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 lightly beaten egg white
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1) Heat oven to 325°F. Line shallow baking pan with foil lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, 5 spice powder, salt & pepper. In small bowl, whisk egg white and zest until foamy. Add walnuts; toss to coat. Using a large fork or slotted spoon, transfer walnuts (allowing excess egg white to drip off) to sugar mixture. Toss to coat.
3) Arrange nuts in 1 layer in pan and bake, shaking pan occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool nuts completely in pan on a rack.
Dressing (makes scant ½ cup)
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. agave nectar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. smoked paprika
dash garlic powder
¼ cup light olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
4 cups pre-washed baby spinach leaves
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
½ cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 hard boiled egg, chopped
2 Quorn™ Cranberry & Goat Cheese Chik’n Cutlets, heated as per pkg. directions
1) Combine vinegar, orange juice, agave, mustard, smoked paprika & garlic powder in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil until well blended; season with salt & pepper.
2) In a large bowl, place spinach leaves, onion and mushrooms. Carefully toss in salad dressing mixture; stir in chopped egg. Arrange on 2 serving dishes. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the Spiced Walnuts (reserve remaining nuts for another time).
3) Serve each salad with 1 prepared Cranberry & Goat Cheese Chik’n Cutlet.
If you don’t have agave nectar, use honey instead.
Leftover Spiced Walnuts can be kept at cool room temperature in an airtight container. They’re great for a snack or as an accompaniment for cocktails.