Westport Farmers' Market Recipe
Monday, July 6, 2015
The Westport Farmers' Market takes place every Thursday from 11 AM - 2 PM. Here's another recipe that you can make from the delicious local food available at the Market.
Purslane Salad with Cherries and Feta from Sue Smith
Purslane is nutrient-dense, with lots of omega-3s. The olives are optional, but their saltiness plays well with the sweetness of the cherries. This salad can be assembled and refrigerated for several hours before tossing with the dressing.
• 1 generous bunch purslane, thick stems cut away (12 ounces, about 4 cups), washed and dried, or 1 bag mache
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
• 16 Bing cherries, pitted and quartered
• 12 kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
• 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 small garlic clove, pureed
• 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• freshly ground pepper
• 1 – 2 ounces feta, crumbled
1. Toss together the purslane or mache, 2 teaspoons of the mint, the cherries, and the olives in a salad bowl.
2. Whisk together the vinegars, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss with the salad. If desired, transfer to a platter.
3. Sprinkle the feta and remaining mint over the top and serve.
1 large bunch purslane or 1 bag mache fresh mint
16 Bing cherries
12 kalamata olives
sherry vinegar balsamic vinegar lemon
extra-virgin olive oil 1 – 2 ounces feta
Sue Smith, Certified Health Counselor,
Prime Health Style